To mark the occasion of Leadership’s 30th year, we salute thirty graduates of our Leadership programs for their contributions to Stark County. The Thirty Faces of Leadership Stark County represent the face of Leadership Stark County, people who are seen in the community as difference makers. They represent ALL of our alumni, Leadership Stark County graduates who are living the mission of commitment to our community!
Make plans to celebrate 30 years of Leadership Stark County with some of the other 1,000+ faces of leadership! Join us May 10, at Varian Orchard.
Christopher L. Cugini, Marketing Coordinator, Northeast Ohio Prevention Council
Government Academy 2010
Chris Cugini is one that rarely says no; he never shies away from any opportunity presented to him no matter how tough or easy the task. His dedication to so many different organizations in Stark County shows how much he truly cares about his community. He will take time out of his day to go to any coalition meeting, town hall meeting, or even to go help a friend. He has always been there for this community and always will be.
Some of Chris’s many accomplishments over the years include
- Served on the Plain Local School board while still in college
- Served on the Alliance Farmer’s Market board
- Helped raised over $245,000 for local non profit organizations since 2008 for programs such as “Walk a Mile in her Shoes”
- Wrote grant proposals to Violence Against Women ($20,000 awarded) and Victims of Crime Act ($162,000 awarded)
- Past News Director for WRMU 91.1.
- Created and hosted radio programs including, “Alliance According To. . .” and “Election Connection with Chris Cugini”
Philip Francis, Vice President and Trust Officer, Huntington National Bank
Signature Program 8th Class
Phil is the epitome of what it means to be a leader in Stark County. His track record of community trusteeship, leadership, and a commitment to serving Stark County makes him a model graduate of Leadership Stark County and a tremendous role model to all of those who have or will go through the program.
For more than 30 years, Phil has committed himself to Stark County. More often than not, this service has been provided through leadership roles. Phil has served as President or Board President of the Alliance Family YMCA, the Marlington Local Schools Board of Education, the Child and Adolescent Service Center, the Alliance Community Soccer Club, the Marlington Soccer Boosters, the Alliance Rotary Club, the Hugh O’Brian Youth Foundation (Ohio North), the Sigma Nu House Corporation of Mount Union College, and the Eastern Stark County Mental Health Center.
Additional involvement includes:
- Past Chairman of the Canton Fair Housing Commission
- Past Chairman of the Alliance Area Boy Scouts
- United Way of Greater Stark County board
- Stark County Bar Association
- Stark County Health Department
- Washington Township Board of Zoning Appeals
- Mount Union College Alumni Council
- Canton Jaycees
Stark County Auditor
Signature Program 23rd Class, Government Academy 2007
Alan was raised in Louisville and had public service as a calling from an early age. After a career in banking and in small business, he was elected to office in November of 2010. Alan is an active member of many community organizations, including United Way, Buckeye Council – Boy Scouts of America, Avondale Community Improvement Association President, and St. Michael’s Catholic Church.
Gloria J. Pope, Retired, Community Volunteer
Signature Program 13th Class
For Gloria Pope, heading nonprofit boards is a way of life. The Jackson Township resident has been president of the Canton YWCA board twice, president of the Canton City Schools Foundation board and president of the board of The Links, Inc, Kent Chapter.
for Leadership Stark County, Gloria has served on the board of trustees and chaired the Opening Retreat committee for several years. She has served on the board of the former Trillium Family Services and worked on a committee for the “Kimono as Art” exhibition at the Canton Museum of Art.
She is a retired supervisor from the Industrial Commission of Ohio.
Kathleen Carr Poporad, Retired, Community Volunteer
Signature Program 3rd Class
Kathy Poporad has worked as a volunteer on more fundraisers in this community than one could ever list and has served on more than four different scholarship committees. If there is something important going on in our community, it’s a pretty sure bet that Kathy will be involved at some level. She is a woman you want to emulate because she goes about doing her good works in such a quiet, humble manner. Stark County is a much better community because of Kathy Poporad.
A (probably incomplete!) list of her involvement includes:
- Sisters of Charity Board
- Women’s Fund Endowment Advisory
- Leadership Stark County Board
- Junior League, Community Advisory Board
- Visiting Nurse Society board
- Captain & Major, United Way Residential Campaign
- Citizens Review Board of Family Court
- Canton Ballet Board
- Canton Museum of Art/Museum Guild
Robert Roland, Managing Partner, Day Ketterer Ltd.
Signature Program 5th Class
Rob is committed to Canton’s growth and vitality. He is a dedicated leader in the Canton Regional Chamber of Commerce, having served three terms on the Chamber Board, including a term as Chairman of the Board. Rob has been instrumental in supporting the arts in Canton. He commissioned the work of local artists for his firm’s headquarters, raising awareness of the arts district.
His involvement includes:
- Founding director of Edgewood Community Center
- Chairman of Leadership Stark County Government Academy steering committee
- Arts in Stark Board
- Stark Development Board
- Canton Ballet Board
- Canton Symphony Orchestra Board
- Canton Palace Theater Board
- Eric Snow YMCA Board
- United Way Allocation Council
- Established the Day Ketterer Business Scholarship
- Ohio State Commission on Local Government Reform and Collaboration
Rob is a dedicated audiophile, accomplished jazz pianist, and long-time wine-guy with a modest cellar concentrating on Bordeaux and Rhones. When he has the opportunity, he rides his bike and smokes cigars, but usually not at the same time.